Monday, September 28, 2009

Slippery Slope to Totalitarianism

Being that we live in a "free country" you wouldn't think that we have a "nanny state", but we are moving in that direction.

It used to be that cars were built for safety, and then people had the choice to use those safety devices. Now the use of seatbelts is mandatory, and for Motorcyclists, the use of a helmet is (in many states) mandatory.

You don't hear a lot of people complaining about these government regulations into our safety and welfare, and when people do complain, they are called "extremists" or worse.

Well, now we have the Government stepping in and wanting to regulate our foods...not in the FDA sense (which is similar to the NHTSA, in regulating the safety of foods and auto-mobiles, respectively), but in the "nanny" sense.

There are new rumors as to the regulation (via taxation, etc) of DIET SODAS, "there are concerns that diet beverages may increase calorie consumption by justifying consumption of other caloric foods"...

This kind of baffles me.

First off...healthy foods COST MORE. Just run down to your local grocery store and pick up a package of SUPER LEAN BEEF and a package of REGULAR BEEF and look at the price difference...also look at items that are fat free, gluten free, zero calorie, etc. On the average, the "healthy stuff" costs more.
Diet drinks are supposed to help people like me get our caffeine without all the sugar. I don't run out and fill up on useless calories when I have a diet soda (although I have friends that will eat a hot dog with a diet coke...). For me, the switch from regular to diet soda saved me 20 lbs so far this year.

Secondly, with all the sugary foods, fatty foods, and other items (like deep fried Twinkies) that are available, you would think going after diet sodas would be a LOW item on their priority list... But, we are talking about the Government here...

Third, with McDonald's making people fat, and Home Cooked meals becoming a thing of the past (mostly because of the state of our economy, where both parents must work to make ends meet - i.e. mom is no longer at home to cook dinner), you would think the Government would have better and easier targets to make a few extra tax dollars, or to extend their "nanny-ness"...

Which brings me to my last point, Why is the Government telling me what I can and cannot eat? Why are they regulating my diet? Why would I trust my health to a government who cannot even look after the welfare of our country's financial mess?
Who/What gives them the right, the power and the authority to dictate to me what is healthy for me and my family, and enforce it under legislation?

When the government is so involved in our daily lives, it is no longer a Republic or Democracy, or "Free Country"...I am no longer a "Free Citizen"...
It becomes a Totalitarianistic Society..

I have to say, "Thanks, but no thanks. I think I can take care of myself, I don't need to be babysat."

No comments: