Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Thank God we have the Government

My wife suffers from a condition which requires some extremely expensive medications. I have insurance to pay for those medications, at least, in part, but there was still some extreme incompetence exercised this past week, as they attempted to fill my wife's prescriptions.
I ordered her medications last week, to give them enough time to get here before she runs out. I ordered them online, and gave them my FSA account information, just like I have in the past. I received a confirmation number and everything seemed to be good.
When they didn't show up by the end of the week (I had selected to get expedited shipping) I went back to the web site to see what the hold-up was. I found the order and the confirmation, and it said that they wouldn't be shipping the medications until the 13th. Really? It will take 13 days to ship something "expedited"?
Then I received a letter on Monday that said, "call member services"... Which I had to wait to do until Tuesday. So I called them, and found that they couldn't or wouldn't ship the medications for 2 reasons... First, there was a balance on the account of $85.00. Not only does this balance NOT show up on my online account information, but that was from a previous order 3 months ago, and I have not received a bill or any notification that there is a balance on the account.
Second, the FSA account supposedly has a $100.00 limit on prescriptions. I know this is false, as when I look back at the previous billings from the medication provider there are charges against the account for over $700.00.
So, the issues here,
#1 - I ordered the medication on the 1st and requested expedited shipping
#2 - They won't ship until the 13th
#3 - There was a balance on the account that was unknown to me for over 3 months
#4 - There is a phantom limit on my benefits account
#5 - I was given a confirmation # for the order, but it couldn't be filled because of #3 and #4
#6 - There is no remedy to fix this situation and get the medications faster

I paid the $85 balance, and the currently owed amount for the new order from another account, and it will still take another week for an expedited order...go figure.

So I started to think about how much things will change when the Government runs our healthcare. Will the billing errors and mismanagement go away? No. According to Obama, one of the main reasons that they are attacking the healthcare field is to get rid of "fraud and waste". If they know it exists and they haven't fixed it until now, there is no reason to believe they will fix it in the future.
How about wait times? If I have something that is important, like medications, will they make sure I have them on time when I order them? If you think so, maybe you haven't been to the DMV or had any dealings with the IRS? Things are done in 30 and 45 day cycles.
How about other benefits? My Grandmother, the wife of a WWII, Korea, Viet Nam vet, was supposed to receive my Grandfather's benefits when he died. They are now denying any claim for anything that my Grandmother needs. Their reasoning? Well, that is just it...she cannot get anyone to tell her why. She is lost in the bureaucracy.

I cannot tell you how much I am looking forward to "universal healthcare"...especially in light of how efficient our government is... boy howdy! It will be a great day (in hell) when they finally pass that mess.

Just to let you know what to look forward to...take a look at how the Government Safety Regulations protect you:
How Terahertz Waves Tear Apart DNA
Now a team led by Los Alamos National Labs thinks it knows why. They say that although the forces that terahertz waves exert on double-stranded DNA are tiny, in certain circumstances resonant effects can unzip the DNA strands, tearing them apart. This creates bubbles in the strands that can significantly interfere with processes such as gene expression and DNA replication. With terahertz scanners already appearing in airports and hospitals, the question that now urgently needs answering is what level of exposure is safe.
Shouldn't they have figured out what was SAFE BEFORE they started using these machines?

Social Security and Medicare finances worsen
Social Security and Medicare are fading even faster under the weight of the recession, heading for insolvency years sooner than previously expected, the government warned Tuesday.
They cannot even manage the programs that they have currently, what will happen when we give them more to manage?

Health care bill reignites abortion debate
health care legislation that would prevent women from obtaining abortions through government-sponsored insurance or any plan that receives government subsidies.
They are already doing what they said they wouldn't do, dictate who and or what will be covered. The system is supposed to give healthcare, and now they are dictating what "healthcare" means.

Healthcare Proposal To Cost $725 Billion Tax Increase
The United States House of Representatives has rolled out its revised health system reform plan, and it is a hard pill to swallow. Advertised as costing “only” $894 billion over ten years, accounting tricks and hidden taxes indicate that the total cost could be much higher, somewhere between $1.1 trillion and $1.5 trillion. But, the biggest problem with the proposal is how to pay for it.
So, while they won't raise Income Tax, they have created NEW taxes and are finding ways to raise OTHER taxes. I guess you really cannot spend money you don't have... now if we could just reduce the National Debt... (oh, ha-ha)

Seriously, people, rethink this. Contact your Congresscritters(tm) and tell them to STOP this insanity. If they want to fix things, they need to go after the fraud and waste, give a little thought to tort reform, and work with the states to get "mandatory minimums" from the insurance companies.
Once that is done, THEN we can look at other possibilities (at the State Level).

No comments: