Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I want a new phone and a new plan...

I have been looking for a new "smart phone" the past little while. I have found many that I thing would be good and give me what I want in a phone.
I like the idea of having a single device for everything:
For Phone Service, either via the regular Cell Channels, or via VoIP and Vonage or one of the other providers that have mobile platforms.
For a camera, so something with 5 or more Mega Pixles.
For a GPS Device.
For a Day Planer.
For something to do quick checks on important emails, etc...
And something that will give me the ability to play around a little...
I found several phones that might be up to the task...

First, we have the Saygus V-Phone. Not only do I know one of the designers, this phone is just plain AWESOME. Two-Way Video Calling? Hackable by design... YES!

Then we have the Google Nexus 1. I like the look and feel, kind of like the IPhone, but there are issues with customer service...

Next is the Samsung Omnia. This is one awesome phone. A definite IPhone killer, if they would get true multi-touch working on the screen...

Then we have the Motorola Driod. I don't like the look of the phone so much, but it does have a Keyboard, like the VPhone, but it isn't as defined.

Last, we have the Apple IPhone. I don't like to buy into the whole "corporate" thing, as I hate hype... but I know lots of people with one of these, and they seem to like them.

They all have about the same offerings, some with multi-touch, others may have it later, or don't support it as well. But with cameras and gps, it seems they would all do what I want.
The problem comes in the selection of the carrier. AT&T, Verizon? It seems that they all require you to have a data plan, and I don't want a Data Plan... or maybe I do, and not a regular calling plan... I can use VoIP if needed.
They also charge a lot for their service, which I don't really understand. Most of the tech they use is 20 years old and paid for. the big thing is what they have done to the phones. AT&T for instance, is fond of disabling WiFi, but I want WiFi...
I also have to decide if I want to buy the phone and put it on my existing service, or if I want to go on contract...

Anyway... I guess I will wait a little longer and decide at some future point... I still have some time to research it.

No comments: