Wednesday, December 02, 2009

From the Round File

'Warrior Gene' Linked To Gang Membership, Weapon Use
While I think they have found something, "Warrior" is NOT equal to "Criminal". We should be careful about our conclusions on this kind of research, or people will come to the wrong conclusions. Cops most likely have the "Warrior Gene", violent criminals prolly do too, but anyone who has a desire to compete in sports (including fencing, archery, rifle or pistol shooting, or any of the martial arts) prolly has this gene.

Scientists Say a Dirty Child Is a Healthy Child
This actually makes sense to me. That is why we didn't get the Swine Flu vaccine. My kids all got the Swine Flu, and now they won't have to worry about it ever again.
We also teach good hygiene, and we have snakes, so we use hand sanitiser, but we aren't so "clean" as to deprive them of the necessary health benefits... or so this article leads me to believe.

Changes Coming to Credit Card Rates
So why has it taken them this long to respond to this problem? I got a credit card for emergencies... it had a 10% rate on it when I got it (and it even had a smaller introductory rate)... now it is as 29%... OUCH! needless to say, I don't use it.
Now, if we can just get the banks to understand... charging bounced check fees or overdraft fees is a bad idea.......
If my account is empty and a charge won't clear, how can I pay the extra fees too?

Environmental Chemicals Are Feminizing Boys
I am actually surprised that I haven't heard anything about this from the Homosexual groups...
I know "gender confusion" is something that tends to lead some people to homosexuality, but maybe there is another reason, one that is biological, but not natural...?


Air Cannon Ties Pirates In Knots

I have heard that some boats are using some of the military "active denial" systems for this, including HIGH PRESSURE WATER CANNONS, MICROWAVE PAIN MACHINES, SOUND CANNONS, and EMP CANNONS...this is the first time I have seen something this clever...and cheep!

Dell Defect Turning 2.2GHz CPU Into 100MHz CPU?
Oops. This shouldn't have gotten into the wild. I test software and hardware and I find many bugs in architecture as well as implementation. This one is serious, and I hope they make it right with their customers.

New device aims to make teens safer drivers
It wouldn't take any of my kids very long to figure out how to disable it, or simply ignore it. But it is an interesting idea. I believe there are some GPS units that already have similar functions -- wasn't it Avis who had one of their cars taken and the user took it across state lines...so they charged him for an out of state fee... by using the GPS onboard?
You can also track most cellphones by the GPS in them. Combined with mapping software, you should know just how fast they were going, and where they were.

Stay tuned for more randomness from the Round File!

No comments: